Vaginal swelling will create panic in many women not to mention the uncomfortable and irritable feel they have because of it. Though this might be a worrying factor, it is to be noted that vaginal swelling does not come under the severe illness category. You might need one among the money which will immediately think that it is a yeast infection, the moment you see your vagina lips all swelled up. While this might be a reason, it is not the only reason. Hence, it is essential to know the possibilities and the reason behind it. This will help in identifying the cause of the problem thus helping in treating it via simple methods.
What is vaginal swelling?
The labia which is called as the lips of the vagina is generally a layer of skins. The outside of the vaginal area consists of a layer of skin folded which is termed as the labia majora. The inner lip lining of the vagina is known to be the labia minora. The primary job of both these layers of skin is to protect the vagina from any sorts of possible irritation or infection. While each woman will have a different size of these lips, there are possibilities that even the lips of one side will be different in comparison to the other within the same body. However, in the case of any infection or cysts or even allergies, the lips of the vagina will get all swollen up which will be readily noticeable. This may also lead to pain in that region. The vagina consists of a pH balance. In any case, this gets disturbed the inflammation is bound to occur. The age factor does not come into place here as women of all ages are prone to this disease.
Causes behind the vaginal swelling
- Yeast Infection – It is so common that at least 3 out of 4 women have and yeast infection in their life. Increased growth of yeast will result in swelling and sometimes itching and burning in the vagina.
- Bacterial Vaginosis – Similar to a yeast infection this happens when there is increased growth in the level of bacteria. Reasons vary from multiple sex partners, drop in the level of good bacteria in the vagina to even touching.
- Allergies – Since the vagina is a sensitive region when it comes in contact with any foreign particles which does not suit it, the labia automatically swells. Some examples are perfume, creams, soaps and detergents, condoms, lubricants, etc.
- Intercourse without stimulation – if there is not enough stimulation during sex their e will not be a good flow of lubricant. This will result in the swelling of the labia.
- Atrophic Vaginitis – This usually happens to women after menopause. The reason is the thinning of the vaginal wall and also the drop in the hormone particularly estrogen level.
- Pregnancy – Since the baby grows inside, there will be additional pressure to the adjacent blood vessels and muscles. This might result in inflammation which will eventually lead to swelling.
One prominent symptom will be the swollen vagina. However, apart from that, the possible symptoms are listed below.
- Inflammation or even redness of labia
- Abnormal Vaginal discharge
- A bump on the vagina
- Hot feeling around the labia
- A stench around the vagina
- Creams and gels – It is best to consult with a doctor before going for this as some creams are not safe to use during pregnancy or when in consumption of alcohol. An antibiotic will help in which case the sexual partner should also be treated to avoid future contamination.
- Surgical Help – In case of cysts especially Bartholin’s cysts will require surgical intervention in the form of surgical removal or surgical drainage.
- Antifungal pills and creams – Over the counter medication might help, and even antifungal medication seems to help. In case of an allergy or due to sexual intercourse there are certain steroid creams which will do the trick.
What you can do at home?
- Apple cider vinegar – In case of yeast infections drinking 1 or 2 spoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with water stands as the best home remedy.
- Cooling effect – In case of swelling try applying a cold compress which will reduce it if done several times in a day.
- Reduce sugar – Yeast infections are prone to occur more if there is an increased intake of sugar in the diet. This includes processed foods too.
- Consume garlic – Garlic is known for its natural curing abilities. It is a natural antifungal and hence is helpful in clearing any infection. There are creams which are made of garlic which seems to be the most effective when it comes to the case of yeast infections.
- Probiotics – Probiotic rich foods such as kefir and yogurt will help in preventing yeast infections as reported by a research study.
- Identify allergy products and irritants – As discussed the swollen lips can be a reason for any products which caused an allergy. It is essential to identify the product and then to remove this irritant. This case is true for soaps, detergents and in some cases the contraceptives too.
- Baths – Baths with warm water appear to help when it comes to the problem of swollen vagina lip. Mainly about the Bartholin’s cysts, a bath in warm water will reduce the effects. Fill the bathtub with warm water. Then immerse in it for some time. Repeat this method several times a day. This should be done at least for 4 days to reduce the size of the cyst.
The critical thing is not to panic when a swollen labia or swollen vagina lip is noticed. Trying to identifying the cause and treating it with medical help along with home remedies is the way to go.